How to Pay Your Electric Bill Using the Meralco App
Nothing ruins a great weekend more than having to line up in a Meralco branch to pay an overdue electric bill, yet this happens to me each month. My due date is unfortunately too far away from my month end payout, and falls just a few days before my mid-month payout, so I always end up in a rush to pay the bill just a few days after it goes overdue.
This is why I got really excited when a friend told me that Meralco has launched their own mobile/web app! Since an unpaid Meralco bill has been sitting in my wallet for days, I immediately downloaded the app to see if I can pay my bill from there.
A one-time registration is required to use the app features so I registered using details from my current Meralco bill. The registration was quick and easy. I initially worried since our bill is not in my name (we’re just renting our house) but the registration went through just fine.
These features can be accessed from the home page of the mobile app:
- Pay a bill
- Automatic Payment
- Start a Service
- Activity Tracker
- Business Centre Locator
- Bright Ideas
- Orange tag
- Appliance calculator
How to use the bill payment feature:
Since my main concern is paying my bill, I clicked on the Pay Bill button and a pop-up appeared advising that the link will open in my mobile web browser.
I was then routed to a web form to fill-out the following details:
- Account Number/Service ID Number/Invoice Number field – all of this is available on your bill, you can choose which one to populate
- Payment Amount
- Email Address
- Mobile Number
- Payment details – credit card, debit card and prepaid card (GCash, Smart Money, Paymaya) payment are available
- Note: A convenience fee (51.83 php in my case) will be charged on top of the bill amount you will indicate
I submitted the payment using my BDO payroll/savings account and my payment was successfully received. On the payment confirmation page, I was given a payment reference number and a note saying that my payment is being processed and that I’ll receive an email once it’s been posted.
A few hours later, I received a payment confirmation email with the payment details and a link to view my payment history online. Yey!
To sum up my experience, here’s a list of the things I liked and didn’t liked:
What I liked:
- The interface is user-friendly and easy to follow
- It accepts overdue bills (I paid after the due date although I haven’t received a disconnection notice yet)
- There’s a variety of payment options including credit card payment
- It just took a few hours to confirm and process the payment
What I didn’t liked:
- Being redirected from the app to a web page (better if the form is within the app)
- The account number/service ID/invoice number, payment amount and contact details are not auto populated
- The convenience fee for every transaction (I agree that there’s costs involved with payment processing but isn’t 50.00+ php too hefty?)
Despite the things I didn’t like, my overall feedback is that the payment feature in Meralco app is already pretty cool for something that just got launched. If you haven’t tried it yet, I suggest you do! Here’s the link for both Android and IOS! Feel free to drop me a comment on how it went for you.
For moms like us, every second taken away from errands is time spent with the kids. This is why I’m an advocate of digitization and all things that can simplify our never ending tasks!